2013 GOLDEN APPLE AWARDS CONTEST
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the 2013 Golden Apple Awards Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal U.S. residents of the following counties in South Carolina: Richland, Lexington, Saluda, Newberry, Fairfield, Lee, Kershaw, Sumter, Clarendon Orangeburg and Calhoun who are 18 years or older. Employees and contractors of BI-LO and WLTX-TV (collectively, "Sponsors"), Gannett Co., Inc., and affiliated companies, and advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees or contractors, are not eligible to enter or to win.
3. How to Enter. The Contest will begin at 5:00 a.m. (E.T.) on August 23, 2013 and end at 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on December 22, 2013 (the "Contest Period").
To enter, visit any BI-LO store in the Richland, Lexington, Saluda, Newberry, Fairfield, Lee, Kershaw, Sumter, Clarendon Orangeburg and Calhoun, and pick up an official "Golden Apple" nomination form. You may also download the on wltx.com (http://www.wltx.com/life/community/goldenapple). On the form, write the name of a working teacher who you nominate to win the 2013 "Gold Apple" award, the teacher's current school, that school's phone number, and the reasons for your nomination, your name, address and phone number. Nominations must be based on the teacher's outstanding teaching methods in the classroom and not for extracurricular or sports activities.
Mail Forms To:
Attention: Golden Apple Teacher
6027 Garners Ferry Road
Columbia, SC 29209
Nominees must currently teach in grades K through 12 as of the time of entry in a public, private or parochial school located within the counties of Richland, Lexington, Saluda, Newberry, Fairfield, Lee, Kershaw, Sumter, Clarendon Orangeburg and Calhoun, SC, All entries must be either typed or printed in English and are limited to 250 words or less. Entries that exceed the word limit, are not written in English, or contain obscene, offensive, unacceptable or inappropriate language will be disqualified. Each submitted essay must be authentic and original to the contestant, the contestant must own the copyright in the essay submitted, and may not have been published previously. Contestants may not nominate themselves.
Mail completed forms to Golden Apple Awards, WLTX-TV, 6027 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia, SC 29109. Forms must be postmarked by December 22, 2013 to be eligible. There is no limit on the number of entries you may submit or teachers you may nominate.
Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries due to mail lost in the USPS system. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Contestants acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, publish, promote, create a sound recording of, broadcast, or otherwise display or use entries in any way it sees fit without limitation or compensation to entrants. By entering, you agree to the terms of these Official Rules.
4. Winner Selection. Each Friday at 4 p.m. during the Contest Period, basis, a panel of qualified judges selected by Sponsors will judge all eligible entries submitted Monday through Friday throughout the Contest Period and received by that day at 3 p.m. according to the following criteria: 50% on how the teacher motivated the nominator and 50% on the leadership qualities of the teacher as described in the submitted essay. The ratings scale for each criterion will range from one (1) to ten (10), with ten (10) being the best score. The teacher nominated on the weekly entry that receives the highest score for that week will be deemed that week's weekly winner (each, a "Weekly Winner"). Entries not selected as a Weekly Winner during any Contest Week will be carried over for the Weekly Winner selection to subsequent Contest Weeks. On December 24, 2013, the judges will re-judge the 33 Weekly Winners on the same criteria used to select each Weekly Winner. The Weekly Winner with the highest score will be judged as the Grand Prize winner. In the event of a tie, the Grand Prize Winner will be determined by random drawing. Each Weekly Winner and the Grand Prize Winner will be the teachers nominated on the entries. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
5. Prizes and Odds. Each Weekly Winner will receive one (1) $25 BI-LO gift card (ARV: $25) and a box of apples (ARV: $20). The Grand Prize winner will receive a $500 BI-LO gift card (ARV: $500).
Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Weekly winners will be notified through their school at the telephone number provided on the nomination form. Sponsor will attempt to call Winners three times without leaving a message. If the calls are not answered, Sponsor may select an alternate winner.
Winner may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner's consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation the Internet, or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winner in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
7. Participation. By participating, nominators agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or discontinue the program at any time or to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest.
Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Sponsors will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, postage-due, misdirected or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries or votes or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor.
8. Copyright. By entering the Contest, each contestant grants to Sponsor an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to publish, print, edit or otherwise use the contestant's submitted entry, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any manner or media (including, without limitation, the Internet) throughout the world in perpetuity, and to license others to do so, all without limitation or further compensation. Each contestant further agrees that if his/her entry is selected by Sponsor as the winning entry, he/she will sign any additional license or release that Sponsors may require, and will not publicly perform or display his or her submission without the express permission of Sponsors.
9. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. Sponsor. The 2013 Golden Apple Contest is sponsored by BI-LO Supermarkets and WLTX-TV. The decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges regarding the selection of winner and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners or a copy of these Official Rules, visit www.wltx.com or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "Winners List/Official Rules" (as applicable), Golden Apple Awards, WLTX-TV, 6027 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia, SC 29209. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Katie Detar by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 803-647-0288.
Return to Golden Apple Award