Chef Kristian Niemi's Excellent Fair Food Recipes, as seen on WLTX Friends @ 5:
Funnel Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Store-bought Caramel Sauce
Kosher or Sea Sal
1. In a deep-fryer, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, beat milk and eggs together. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the egg mixture until smooth.
3. While covering the funnel hole with one hand, pour in 1 cup of batter. Start from the center in a swirling motion to make a 6 or 7 inch round. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Drizzle with caramel sauce and light sprinkle of sea salt.
Herb-Fried Wild Mushrooms with Green Goddess Dipping Sauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic salt
freshly ground pepper
1 TB Italian Herbs
1 cup water
1 pound Shiitake and Cremini mushrooms
deep fryer filled with oil (or a sauce pot with 4 cups of oil and a thermometer)
1. Mix batter ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and herbs with egg and water) well.
2. Dip mushrooms in batter and allow excess to drip off before placing in 365 degree deep fryer.
3. Fry til golden brown.
4. Drain on paper towels and serve with dipping sauce.
Green Goddess Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup Mayo
1/2 cup Sour Cream
3 Scallions, chopped
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Basil, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 Lemon, juiced
Salt and Pepper
Puree scallions, parsley, basil and garlic in food processor with lemon juice. Mix with mayo and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.