Cooking Time:45 min
What You'll Need:
12 lasagna noodles
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 medium-sized onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sauteed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
- Place 3 noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with remaining sauteed onions.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.
You might want to add a few cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like 'em...salt, pepper, and butter work fine.
We went crazy for this when our test kitchen gave us a taste! We like to serve it with just about everything, but we'd like to suggest that you pair it with our All-in-One-Kielbasa.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our collection of 19 Easy Lasagna Recipes.