Cooking Time: 55 min
What You'll Need:
2 pounds ground chuck
1 large onion, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups milk
2 cups cornmeal
1 (14.5-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (6-ounce can) pitted black olives, drained
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet over high heat, cook ground chuck and onion until browned. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix milk with cornmeal and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Line bottom and sides of prepared casserole dish with cooked cornmeal.
4. Stir corn and olives into meat mixture and spoon into casserole dish.
5. Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and cook 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.
Recipe adapted from Beyond Delicious: The Ghost Whisperer's Cookbook, by Mary Ann Winkowski and David Powers. If you like to enter to win an autographed copy, click here.
To watch an in-depth interview with Mary Ann, click here.