Potato Crusted Fish and Chips
Cooking Time: 35 min
What You'll Need:
1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 baking potatoes, cut into wedges
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets (see Note)
1/4 cup butter, melted
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup oil, seasoning salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add potatoes and toss until evenly coated. Place on baking sheet.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
4. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, potato flakes, salt, and remaining pepper. Dip fish in melted butter, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
5. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; add fish and fry 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until it flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Serve with potato wedges.
Cod or haddock can be used in place of catfish in this British-inspired dish. Don't forget the malt vinegar for an authentic accompaniment.
For more great recipes using catfish, click here.