Camden, SC (WLTX) - In only one minute, a mock up room WLTX set on fire with the Camden Fire Department was up in flames.
We could see the room was completely destroyed after the Camden Fire Department put out the fire.
Over the noises of intense flames and destruction, while it was burning, the beeps of a smoke detector alerting danger could be heard.
"Most of the fire victims I've seen that have died in fires have been literally just feet from open oxygen by a door way or window but they didn't make it," said Camden Fire Chief John Bowers. "And this is in their own home, the place they know the best."
While flames look dangerous, firefighters say thick black smoke put off by the fire is deadly.
"The fire gets a good start before the firefighters even arrive on the scene," said Bowers.
Bowers says smoke detectors should be outside of every room in your home and always have a working battery.
"Number one is smoke detectors," said Bowers. "When we talk to the public that's always first and foremost. A smoke detector is designed to protect you when you're most vulnerable, when you're asleep and you can't provide protection for you and your family."