Cayce, SC (WLTX) -- SCE&G wants customers to be aware of potential scammers in the Midlands posing as SCE&G bill collectors.
According to a release from the company, a number of instances have been reported to SCE&G by customers, saying individuals have come to their door, requesting immediate payment, and threatening service disconnection if payment is not made.
SCE&G has provided these guidelines:
- Bill payments are only accepted at SCE&G business offices, by mail, authorized payment agencies, online or through SCE&G's phone payment provider, BillMatrix, by calling 1-800-450-9160.
- SCE&G typically notifies customers by phone or in writing before an employee is scheduled to arrive at their home to perform any type of work inside the home.
- SCE&G field employees are identified by their blue SCE&G uniforms, a white company ID badge with a photo and marked SCE&G truck.
- If someone arrives unannounced or does not have company identification and introduces themselves as an SCE&G employee, the company recommends calling Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234 for verification or dialing 911 if they feel threatened.
- Keep your family and your personal information safe. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for financial information or in person to gain access into your home.
The General Manager of Customer Service for SCE&G said "We encourage our customers to call us if they have any concerns about their accounts."
If you believe you have been a victim of this scam, call SCE&G's customer service department at 800-251-7234.