Sumter, SC (WLTX) - Nineteen people have been arrested (seventeen for charges related to prostitution) and large amounts of cocaine and marijuana seized after a sting operation conducted by Sumter city and county authorities.
The arrrests came after Sumter Police officers and Sumter County Sheriff's deputies posed as potential clients for prostitutes who were advertising online, as well as going undercover to bust others who were allegedly working on the streets of Sumter.
"Both agencies have received citizen complaints and concerns about the illicit acts of prostitution," Sumter County Sheriff Anthony Dennis and Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said in a joint statement issued Tuesday. "Our investigations will continue in an effort to provide a better quality of life to the community and its citizens. Incidents of such solicitations have continued to occur and resulted in multiple offenses for some of these suspects. We will continue to monitor these illegal activities, as we have in the past, and make appropriate arrest accordingly as warranted through continued investigations."
Deputies and officers also executed three search warrants unrelated to the sting, seizing cocaine valued at $25,000 and marijuana valued at $6,270, as well as weapons and drug paraphernalia,
The following 19 people were arrested and charged:
- Eugenia Nelson, 36, Columbia; assisting in solicitation for prostitution
- Kendra Young, 29, Columbia; soliciting/prostitution and possession of cocaine
- Michelle Johnson, 31, Sumter; prostitution, second offense
- Rigobreto Dominguez, 23, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution
- Lucio Abaunu-Cantuan, 27, Rembert; solicitation for prostitution
- Irineo Cantoran, 30, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution
- Ruth Wells, 43, Sumter; prostitution, second offense
- Vermell Rhodes-Wheeler, 45; prostitution, third offense
- Jennifer Nelson, 38, Sumter; prostitution, fourth offense, and possession of drug paraphernalia
- Jinnie Butler-Brown, 44, Sumter; prostitution, first offense
- Randy Billie, 43, Pinewood; solicitation for prostitution
- Quentin Green, 32, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution
- Raymond Vaughn, 56, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution, driving under suspension and open container
- Johnnie Amos, 57, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution
- Ottis Jones, 38, Mayesville; solicitation for prostitution
- Barbara Hodge, 47, Sumter; prostitution, fourth offense
- Daniel McDuffies, 24, Sumter; solicitation for prostitution
- Corey Geddie, 17, Sumter; five counts distribution of marijuana, two counts distribution of crack cocaine, three counts of distribution of cocaine, 10 counts of distribution within half a mile of a school
- Lamont Ivan Blades, 30, Sumter; trespass after notice