2-Year-Old Killed By Furniture in Landrum Home

4:16 PM, Mar 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a 2-year-old boy has died after a chest of drawers fell on him as he played in his Landrum home.

Investigators say Chandler Shaver was hurt around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and died about an hour later. An autopsy determined his he suffocated when he couldn't breathe under the piece of furniture.

Authorities say the boy's 4-year-old sister was playing with him. She has been taken into emergency protective custody by the Department of Social Services.

Greenville County deputies are investigating the case and no charges have been filed.


In response to the above story, The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) contacted News 19 with valuable Safety Information:

A CPSC report from 2011 shows that 349 individuals were killed between 2000 and 2011 when TVs, furniture, or appliances fell over onto them.

Overall, more than 43,000 people were injured during the same period, and 25,000 of those were children under 18.

To help prevent tip-over tragedies, CPSC recommends the following safety measures in homes where children live or visit:

  • Anchor furniture to the wall or the floor.

  • Place TVs on sturdy, low bases, or anchor the furniture and the TV on top the base, and push the TV as far back on the furniture as possible.

  • Keep remote controls, toys, and other items that might attract children off of TV stands or furniture.

  • Keep TV and/or cable cords out of reach of children.

  • Make sure freestanding kitchen ranges and stoves are installed with anti-tip brackets.

  • Supervise children in rooms where these safety tips have not been followed.

Most Watched Videos