LIVE VIDEO: News 19    Watch
 
 

Investigators Discover Remains in 2 Year Missing Persons Case

11:32 PM, Dec 23, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Cayce, SC (WLTX) - Investigators in Lexington County made a discovery two years in the making recently, finding the remains of a 22-year-old man missing since Christmas 2011.

The parents of Michael George have missed their son since his disappearance.

"I look everywhere for him," said Helen George, Michael George's mother. "People walking down the road, I take a second look."

It has been a long and painful journey for the George family, but now maybe there is peace after the discovery of the remains of their son.

"It's still hard for me to take. I still think of him as being here right now. I haven't used the past tense," Helen George said.

Warrants allege that sometime in the days leading up to Christmas 2011, William Thomas Embree and Jamey Charles Mallette kidnapped George from a bar near Cayce.

A third person was arrested and charged earlier this year in connection with the disappearance, but Gary and Helen George said it still does not bring their son back.

"There's no closure yet," said Michael's father Gary George. 

"Yes we have him home, but there is still a criminal case that is actively being investigated."

While investigators continue working leads in the case, the family decided this year they would be leaving a small Christmas tree at the spot they named "Michael's Place" right where investigators found his abandoned car. 

This year, instead of staying home for Christmas, they are leaving town to be with the two kids, a boy and girl aged three and four, that their son left behind.

"The tree fit perfect, so it was one of those things that was meant to be," Gary George said.

Now, as they get ready to lay their son Michael to rest, they can say he is found, but realize there are questions left unanswered.

"As much as I would have liked to tell all those who have prayed, it's not over. We still need information," Gary George said.

The George's said they have not yet made arrangements for a funeral, but are planning to cremate their son's remains.

They said they are planning to have a service sometime soon after the beginning of the year.

Most Watched Videos