Homeless Man Dies in Accidental Fire in Bamberg

4:03 PM, Jan 4, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BAMBERG, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say the death of a homeless man found burned in an abandoned home in Bamberg appears to be an accident.

Bamberg County Coroner Willard "Billy" Duncan told The Times and Democrat of Orangeburg that a medical examiner is awaiting toxicology and forensic reports before giving an official cause of death for 59-year-old John Hightower.

Hightower was found dead Thursday morning. Authorities say he had burns to his chest and head.

Duncan says it appears Hightower spilled the alcohol he was drinking on his clothes, and a candle nearby then set the liquid on fire.

Most Watched Videos